Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My New Idea

I had a thought today. As a former teacher, I'm always trying to think of ways to use read alouds with my daughter to their maximum potential. How can I take the lesson of this book and extend it? How can I encourage my daughter to think more about it?  For me, the easiest way to do this is to talk about it or to come up with a craft that relates to it directly (i.e. do a rorschach test-style butterfly after reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar). But easy is not always  the best route to take.

My goal here is to challenge myself to come up with better ideas. I want sensory activities, science experiments, research projects, multidisciplinary activities.  I want to be creative and I want my daughter to create.  I plan to post projects related to books that we read and show their connection. I may even do some videos!  They most likely still won't be very complicated, because, you know, I have a 2 year old. But, at least I will have put some thought into them!


Full disclosure: I am a terrible planner and follow-through-er. It's certainly my weakness and I like to be spontaneous. This is my way of keeping myself accountable.  Also, I'm no photographer. I may also be taking the majority of my pictures on my phone, unless I really learn how to use my fancy camera on any setting besides 'auto.' I'm just a stay-at-home mom with a 2 year old (with plans to homeschool--- thanks Common Core) and one on the way. Some of these activities may be too simplistic or too complex for your child. Use your judgement and think of ways you can make them work for you!  I hope you find my posts useful and engaging. Thanks for following along!


No comments:

Post a Comment